TMJ headaches are brutal. If you’re one of 10 million Americans that currently suffer from this horrible disorder then you already know how debilitating this ailment can be. The pain is just as terrible as a migraine.
Thankfully, there are some proactive steps you can take to help relieve the pain caused by TMJ headaches. These home remedies for TMJ are fantastic alternatives when compared with expensive – and downright scary – invasive surgery. There are numerous ways to attain pain relief from TMJ all from the comfort of your own home so why don’t we examine them now. Your aching head will thank you later.
- Remember when your mother kept telling you to sit up straight at the dinner table? Well, turns out mom was right on this one. Good posture while at work, home, or in school with help with your TMJ headaches.
- Exercise is incredibly important. This ranges from going for walks during your lunch break to simple exercises that focus in on the jaw area. For example, slowly move your jaw from side to side. Next, relax your jaw and stretch it downwards. While you’ll want to make sure to stop if you’re experiencing any pain, these simple exercises can drastically help combat your TMJ headaches.
- Mouth guards aren’t just for football and hockey players. By wearing one when you sleep, it will help alleviate the consequences for those of you that grind your teeth at night (also known as bruxism).
- Another huge cause of TMJ headaches is stress. To deal with stress, try simple breathing exercises. Take 5 minutes to deeply breath in and out. Focus on your breath and do the best you can to forget about your stressful situation, even if just for a few moments. If this sounds a bit like the tactics used in meditation and yoga, well, it is.
- Keeping with the stress theme: when we are stressed or angry, we have a tendency to clench our jaw. This is a pretty big contributor to TMJ headaches. This clenching puts strain on the TMJ joint and causes inflammation. The next time you’re upset, try to focus on keeping your jaw slack.
There are many natural cures and remedies that you may not be aware of that can help you attain relief from your TMJ headaches. These remedies are easy to do whether you’re at home, work, or even on vacation. Besides, once you’ve mastered the tips we’ve just gone over you’ll never have to worry about your mother asking you to sit up straight at Thanksgiving dinner. Your posture is just fine, isn’t it?