If you are currently suffering from temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ), then I’d bet the kitchen sink that terrible jaw pain is negatively impacting your life. TMJ-induced jaw pains can arrive in the form of an extremely painful jaw area, a clicking noise when opening and closing your mouth, and much more.
The pain is enough to keep you awake at night and can have you feeling awful in the morning.
But fear not. When it comes to jaw pains (a common symptom of) TMJ disorder), there are numerous home remedies you can start doing today. If you incorporate these treatments into your daily routine, you will start to notice immediate relief.
TMJ-Generated Jaw Pains: The Don’ts
Before we give you the top home remedy treatments to alleviate your nasty jaw pains, it’s important to take a quick look at the top “don’ts.” That is to say, the so-called treatments and professionals you’ll want to stay away from:
- Mouthgards – One of the biggest wastes of money out there are mouthguards. These devices claim to prevent you from grinding your teeth at night. While this is true, they also promote clenching while you sleep. This means you’ll wake up in more pain than when you went to bed the night before. Not very helpful, is it?
- Professionals – There are a lot of folks out there claiming to be specialists. This is just a bogus title, however. There is no such thing.
- PT, or physical therapy might sound appealing at first. The problem is that not enough physical therapists are familiar with the disorder for it to be a sound use of your time and money. Bonus don’t: Oftentimes insurance won’t cover your visits.
There are a lot of products and people out there that claim to provide relief from TMJ-induced jaw pains. Be skeptical, however, and do you homework before diving into an unproven treatments.
TMJ-Created Jaw Pains: The Do’s
Now that we’ve shown you a few treatments to be weary of, let’s examine some fantastic home remedies that will have you feeling better right away:
- Stretches – If you’re going to do only one treatment per day, stretches may be the most important. Not only will the most basic of stretches help to relax your jaw muscles, but also they will help to strengthen them.
- H2O – Many sufferers don’t realize the importance of hydration. Dehydration leads to muscle tension, so make it a part of your morning routine to drink 15 ounces of water right when you awake. And if you continue to consume water throughout the day, you’ll feel even better.
- Get Comfy – You’re probably spending around 1/3 of your week sleeping. That’s why a posture-pedic pillow is highly recommended for TMJ-induced jaw pains. It not only conforms to your unique head shape, but also it provides fantastic neck support. This will prevent you from falling asleep face down on the mattress, which will put unnecessary strain on the joint all night.
What Helps You?
There are all kinds of fantastic treatments for TMJ-influenced jaw pains. I’ve provided many, many more for you here on this site so take a look around. I’m always trying to discover new home remedy treatments, so please feel free to share them in the comments section below!